Odebrecht Sells, Brazil Water Sector Restructures
On 27 October 2016, Brookfield Business Partners announced the acquisition of a 70% stake in Odebrecht Ambiental, Brazil’s leading private water and sanitation services concession holder. The deal is potentially worth US$1 billion.
This acquisition forms part of the private sector’s overall restructuring as several Brazilian engineering firms have sought to divest assets. Embattled in a recession and recovering from a political crisis, Brazil is keen to sustain private sector investment to reach its PLANSAB targets for water and wastewater coverage.
Through our insight services (providing ongoing analysis) and reports (available for one-time purchase), Bluefield provides strategic analysis of Brazil’s water market:
- Brazil Water Firms Trudge Toward Consolidation (Research Note)
- Brazil Private Municipal Water: Strategies & Outlook (Report for Purchase)
- Brazil Private Water Concessions: Contract Awards and Rankings (Data Insight)
- More analysis from our Latin America and Global Private Water Insight Services
Contact our water experts to learn more.
- Brookfield deal signals upside, but market investment still far from de-risked.
- Improving PPP model key to revitalize private investment.
- Odebrecht Ambiental portfolio contains national benchmarks, and burdens.