Sam Schatz of AeroFarms pulls back the curtain on water use in vertical farming. Sam discusses water quality issues, filtration, conservation, and crop water intensity, among other issues. Sam also delves into other considerations in vertical farming, including energy and other factors.
Plus, Reese Tisdale from Bluefield Research provides his look back at water in 2020 and a peek ahead at the water sector in 2021 in our Bluefield on Tap segment.
In this session, you’ll learn about:
- What vertical farming is
- Water use in vertical farming
- Water quality issues and filtration in vertical farming
- Water intensity of certain crops
- The crops that vertical farming can grow
- Why vertical farming saves water by not requiring triple washing
- How energy and water intertwine in vertical farming
Resources and links mentioned in or relevant to this session include:
- Sam’s LinkedIn Page
- AeroFarms’ website
- TWV #123: Plunging into Virtual Water with Jenny Kehl
- TWV #109: A Different Approach to Ag Water and Soil Health
Thanks to each of you for listening and spreading the word about The Water Values Podcast! Keep the emails coming and please rate and review The Water Values Podcast on iTunes and Stitcher if you haven’t done so already. And don’t forget to tell your friends about the podcast and whatever you do, don’t forget to join The Water Values mailing list!