The global use of oil & gas as an energy source continues to rise due to population growth and industrialization. Rising demand for a variety of petroleum-derived goods (e.g., plastic) also fuels global demand.
Water and oil & gas are intrinsically linked. Within upstream energy, water is used for oil & natural gas exploration and production—especially in unconventional (fracking) natural gas developments. Within downstream energy, water is necessary to process crude oil into a refined product.
For water solutions providers, the vertical presents opportunities in concentrated geographic markets with historical oil & gas capacity, areas with expected refinery developments, and areas where water scarcity risks continue to drive efficiency projects.
This report lays out Bluefield’s 2023–2030 forecast for capital expenditures (CAPEX) and operating expenditures (OPEX) for water and wastewater providers in the oil & gas sector. The forecast includes water usage, opportunities by geography, and opportunities by energy type.
Report + Data Option:
Data is a key component to this oil & gas analysis. Our team has compiled relevant data dashboards available as an add on purchase option. Select the “Report + Data” option in the drop down menu under Report Price.
Industrial Water Navigator seat holders can
access related dashboard now
Table of Contents
Market Drivers & Trends
- Drivers and Inhibitors for Water Management in Oil & Gas Sectors
- Oil & Gas Market Layout
- Recent Volatility in the European Natural Gas Market
- The Global Demand for Petroleum Continues to Increase
- Oil Production by Country
- U.S. & Canada Rig Counts Showcase Changed Upstream Market
- Slow Pace of Refinery Additions Reflect Mature Market
Water for Upstream Oil & Gas Forecast
- Forecast Methodology
- Upstream Energy Produced Water Treatment
- Upstream Oil & Gas Forecast, 2023–2030
- Hydraulic Fracturing Activity by Basin
- U.S. & Canada Fracking Spend, 2023–2030
Downstream Oil & Gas Forecast
- Downstream Energy Water Usage and Applications
- Refinery Water Expenditures by Region
- Metrics Influencing Opportunity for Water Providers
- Water for Oil & Gas Overview by Country
- Emerging Disruptors in Oil & Gas Sector for Water Providers